After a cold day, you need a filling soup to warm you up. This is a super easy soup and it takes less than an hour to make. It can simmer while you’re busy doing other things. Chicken soup is just the thing when you feel a cold coming on.
- 4 chicken thighs, or other parts
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry noodles, any kind
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1 large carrot, shredded or chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped, or 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme, rosemary, or basil (I like basil)
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or 1/2 dried
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- water if needed
Brown chicken, garlic, and onion in 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil. When brown, add vegetable broth and water if you need more liquid.
Bring to boil, add Bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender. Remove chicken to cool. When cool enough to handle, shred the chicken. Meanwhile, add to the broth, dry noodles, barley, carrot, and herbs. Cook until tender. Add shredded chicken, stir, and it’s ready.
Add more water, if needed at any time.
Serve with crackers or bread, sandwich or salad. We love it by itself.
Serves approx. 4